Having a new puppy is exciting for the whole family! A new puppy will bring tons of fun and joy to the home. There is a challenge however, and that is potty training your puppy. With a little determination, however, your puppy will be house-broken in no time at all! Some things to keep in mind:
- Your puppy must have frequent access to his toilet area. Pick a place outside and bring your puppy there every two hours (at the minimum!)
- Give your puppy enthusiastic praise when he or she soils outside and a special treat
- Mistakes will happen – never, ever punish a puppy for a housetraining mistake
- What goes in, must come out – get your puppy on a schedule and you’ll have a better idea when they need to go
- Keep a diary for the first few weeks so you become familiar with their potty schedule.
At Tails on Trails we offer puppy care options to encourage early success with housebreaking. Because a puppy needs more frequent trips outside, we offer two twice a day options, at a special discounted rate to help get your puppy on track. We have found in our experience with the twice a day option, that your puppy learns quicker when they follow your weekend routine more closely.